Friday, October 12, 2007

Preparing for Chemotherapy

I seem to be obsessed with hair today.
In the theory that sometimes shorter hair doesn't fall out as fast, I had a couple of inches cut off my hair today. It is about chin length now. I am not sure if I like it. Which is ok, because I probably only have a couple of weeks to enjoy it.
Since the oncology nurse told me to count on losing my hair, I went to the cosmetology school today and looked at some wigs. Since the wigs there are donated (and free to chemo patients), the selection was very limited.

The wig thing today was depressing. I can't find anything that looks remotely like hair I would like - even on my worst hair days. So maybe the answer is hats. Ah well. It'll grow back sometime. I know I am going to cry when it falls out. And when I lose my eyelashes and eyebrows. The only possible compensation would be if I didn't have to shave my legs.

I am going to go enjoy my evening cup of hot cocoa. Since they told me to get in the habit of drinking lots of liquids for the chemotherapy, I bought cocoa, apple cider, and lots of sugar-free jello (I like to make it hot and drink it like a beverage before it sets. Weird, huh?)

.

12 comments:

Michelle said...

I love drinking hot jello! It's not weird! lol I've been drinking a bunch of hot cider lately... it's the fall thing to do... Maybe me and alex and anyone with long hair will cut our hair and have a wig made for you with our hair... the only problem would be that mine is med brown and alex's is blonde lol... highlights maybe? Love you!

Anonymous said...

I think shopping for a wig would be a hard thing to do. I like hats.. maybe some with hair sticking out of the edge?

I agree with Shelly,, hot/warm jello is good.

one step at a time..

Love
Mom

Van-Go said...

Great hearing your voice yesterday! The hat thing is okay and there are mags that show them with hair sticking out; sure there must be a website too. Hot jello--will have to try that one!

djhauk said...

Dear Sister, my co worker said she loves her synthenic wig best. She just finished with 6 months of chemo. It was less expensive and easier to care for and got it in brighton. sugar-free is not a good idea and especiall with hot water as the chemichal sweetener in hot water are a toxic mix. sorry. amy's favorite tea is zinger by celstial seasons and it's kind of sweet tasting. Agave sweetner is delicious and one of the few all natural sweetners. meijer carries it. stay away from surcrose at all cost even though it says it's natural. love DEE

Lavonda Pflug said...

I like hot jello too! My mom used to give it to me when I was sick and had to stay home from school. I prayed for you today. Have another cup of jello and remember God's mercies are new every morning.

Anonymous said...

Ok so you are going to laugh at me but...back when I would be up late nursing carson and connor I would watch QVC and on there was a woman who makes wigs and fake hair clips. I tried one of her fake hair clips and I lke it. I think her name is Toni B. something. Keep an eye out because it is quality stuff. Her wigs and hair pieces come in so many colors. Maybe call QVC and see when she will be on next. I do believe they are returnable too!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Sis..hope all is going well. I'm wondering how you were feeling after the shot that makes your 'bones sore'? My co worker said you don't really feel too bad until 2 days after a chemo treatment. I'm hoping we can see you on Halloween. If not can I come over and see you sometime?
love DEE

Van-Go said...

Thinking of you Connie, hope you are doing well as you can considering. We are leaving for TX in a few days...we will miss you. Will you be coming down late winter or will you be enjoying a season up north? Smile when I think of you sipping a hot jello! HUGs, Kathy and Will

Van-Go said...

Connie, saw your pic on your mom's site and you look great in pink! Thinkin of ya going through chemo and seeing that bright smile; you are very brave.

Anonymous said...

Hello, Well as far as the warm jello, never had it, but sounds delicious! Im on a new health kick too .. hard at first haha.
I love your new haircut by the way .. You can pull it off way better than I ever could! Your amazing!! .. Love you!!

Anonymous said...

You are amazing. I love that you decided to cut your hair off. Your brave and you have the best mind set, if it is going to fall out, why worry and wait. You look beautiful. Well, Ben and I are planning on coming home for christmas so i hope we see you then. Love you.

Connie said...

Alisha,
I didn't have to cut it off too early - you should have seen it falling out by the handful. It was so distrubing that I truely felt bald would be an improvement. haha.