Saturday, November 24, 2007

and so it goes


After my last treatment, I did think to ask if these side effects (particularly the nausea) could get progressively worse each time. The answer - yes. And so it goes.

Unfortunately, the nausea isn't the only side effect that can get worse. I had chemo on Wednesday, but went back to the cancer center on Friday for more fluids - to "try to break the cycle" as my oncologist put it. It worked over the weekend, but then by Tuesday evening the nausea was back worse than ever. I couldn't keep the anti-nausea pills down. From about 4 a.m. on, I was vomiting every hour. (Sorry - that's probably more than most of you wanted to know). At 8, I called the cancer center and was on my way back in.

I was extremely dehydrated (again), and had a fever to go along with the low white blood count (0.3) They pumped me full of fluids and antibiotics "as fast as we can." I can't remember ever feeling so miserable. I was cold, shivering, and crying. I just felt so very tired. I told my oncologist to just shoot me and let me die. Dr. Liepman is a no nonsense, wonderful, caring doctor. She told me there would be no shooting, and I wasn't going to die.

After 8 hours of fluids, she transferred me to the hospital. My esophagus was so sore that I couldn't swallow anything - even water hurt. I spent three days in the hospital - Thanksgiving and all - getting more fluids, anti-nausea medicine, antibiotics, and daily Neupogen injections to bring my white blood cell count back up.

My red blood cells are also down, so a transfusion was suggested. I can't say why, but I wasn't comfortable with that, so I declined. They will regenerate themselves in a couple of months anyway. The result is that I will be "more tired than normal" (I don't know what "normal" is anymore), so I guess I can live with that. Charley pampers me by bringing me warm quilts from the dryer, and wraps me up in them. What a luxury!

The good news is that is going to be my last chemo treatment. Dr. Liepman said she thought suspending the last treatment would be best. Given the risk/benefit factor, I have to say that I am mostly relieved with that decision.

So, now I can start healing and feeling better. I am happy to be done with that phase of my treatment, and looking forward to moving on. Yipee!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh it's so good to hear from you on the blog. thanks to all the wonderful people who pumped you full of stuff, you are back. When I was giving blood every 2 months, I had a hard time regenerating cells, so now it's every 4 months for me. It made me feel tired, out of breath more than I should have been. Taking a hike with sissy who smoked, I was more out of breath than she. We laughted aobut that. Glad you are on the road to recovery now.

Connie said...

No more chemo - and Lisa's biposy is negative. Yahoo. This is a very good week.

Anonymous said...

I still pray for you everynight. Im glad you are now finished with your chemo.. Miss you and Love you with all my heart!

jenni said...

Thanks for the comment, I'm glad to hear your done with chemo. Hope things keep looking up for you.

TRACY RENEE said...

I am enjoying Fallon and now I am going to make a quick blog just for you, hehe.(shh, dont tell my mom I said that cause she is always asking me to) Love you!