Monday, April 21, 2008

Lousiana Swamps

I love the Atchafalaya swamps.




Every year, when we travel through Louisana, I have wanted to take a swamp tour. The boat had a flat bottom, a very quiet motor, and held 12 passengers. The motor shaft and prop were encased in a "cage" to protect it when we ran over logs, trees, and swamp grass.



The bird houses below were built and placed by the Boy scouts. Look closely to see a snake with it's tail sticking out of the hole. Charley thinks this one was "planted", since it was the only one we saw. I was just grateful.


A baby alligator peeks out at us.



It looks solid, but we took the boat up this little "alley", and through the grass.







The alligator looks planted too, but I assure you, it was real. The closer we got, the more he opened those jaws.

There were many duck blinds on Lake Martin. Some were hallowed out trees, some were a little larger, like the one below.






3 comments:

mary said...

Oh wow , I love the pictures. It looks just like in the "picture books" We need to take this tour also.

Love

Mom

Yipee your blogging again.

Van-Go said...

I love alligators! Well, not too up close, but they are really neat animals. That seems like it was a great tour; send us the details so we can put it on our todo list.

Connie said...

This is the tour we took.
www.louisianaswamptours.net
It is on Lake Martin, LA, and I specifically choose it because it was not an air boat (too noisy). I really thought it was a terrific tour. Next Spring, I would like to do one in another area of the Atchafalya - just to compare. Tourist center says spring is the best time.